The History

The House The Bar Dining Room Living Room The Farm History

 

 

 

 

 

 

The house at purchase time and after the renovations.

Our beautiful limestone mansion, located in the heart of Lancaster Countyís Amish Country, was built in 1750 by Thomas Evans whose father received a land grant directly from William Penn. 
When we purchased the estate it existed of the limestone house, a spring house, a four car garage, large barn, tobacco barn, tenant house, in-ground pool and a pond on a total of 56 farmable acres. 

After the purchase we subdivided the property and kept 10.5 acres of farm and woodland with the main building, spring house, pond, pool and the garage.
The previous owners, Verna and Arthur Morgan had two children.  Arthur Morgan was an executive at New Holland Machine company.  Arthur Morgan passed away approximately in 1986.  Verna Morgan continued to live on the premise for two more years and then had to be admitted to a nursing home where she passed away around 2000.  The property sat almost abandoned for twelve years prior to our purchase in 2002.  The roof was leaking, the heating system leaked, the ceilings in the servantís quarters had fallen down and there was much water damage as the plumbing had frozen and burst.  When we purchased the house there was no heating on the second and third floor and there was no plumbing, the water pipes had been cut off in the basement to prevent further damage.

The house has over 7500 square feet of living space.  That does not include the full basement or the two unheated attics.  The 19 room house was renovated to include nine bedrooms, two suites, ten bathrooms, one powder room, three laundry rooms, the bar, two living rooms, two dining rooms, entertainment room, an office and two kitchens.  We also added a brand new barn for our farm related activities.